Ever wonder how some people land those awesome jobs when you’ve never even seen them posted? Temp-to-hire!
Over 1 in 3 temporary employees are offered a permanent job by the company where they had been working on an assignment. If you’re stuck in an endless job search, here are some benefits to considering a temporary role:
- Many temp jobs are based on an immediate need, so the hiring process moves quickly.
- Since hirers view the hiring decision as “reversible” (see here for more on this), they’ll be more willing to take a chance on a candidate that isn’t a perfect match.
- Temp workers get a foot in the door, which means direct access to networking contacts and internal full-time opportunities, and an ability to show off your skills firsthand to the hiring managers.
- Temp employees get to “try before they buy” to understand if the company is a good fit, while also earning a paycheck and gaining experience to add to their resumes.
So how can you turn a temporary role into a permanent one? The best way is to act as if you’re a regular full-time employee in terms of how you approach your role, co-workers, and work ethic.
- Show up early and offer to stay late (contract permitting).
- Volunteer to pitch in outside your role.
- Attend company social events (when able).
- Eat lunch with current employees.
- Ask for feedback on how you can improve.
- Learn as much as you can about the company.
- Have a positive and open attitude.
- Let them know you’re interested in a permanent role.
- Do awesome work!